In this post, we demenstrate and show the process taken to rebuid and assemble the 1963 Corvette Engine, Transmission, and Differential.
Here we assembled parts and pieces on the engine, rebuilt the differential, and started on rebuilding the transmission.
Here is the intake and valve covers installed.
Here is the heat shielding and radio shielding installed.
Next we installed the front pulleys.
On the right is the Paragon reproduction which is “show chrome” finish and on the left is the radio shield we pulled off the engine and had flash chromed. Since the judging manual says they are supposed to be flash chromed we re-zinc plated the mounting hardware and reinstalled it on the shield. As you seen in the photos above, we have it installed on the engine.
We disassembled the differential and removed the ring and pinion that had the 4.56 gear ratio and installed the new ring and pinion. I’ll give a quick explanation of what you see here. The differential has 3 locations for shim packs that adjust the ring gears geometry to the pinion. As you play around with different shim configurations, you apply a thick yellow paint (as seen above) to the gear then rotate the pinion till it leaves a wear pattern in the ring gear. Analyzing this pattern tells you how you need to alter your shim packs to get the correct gear geometry. Above is a great looking pattern for the drive side of the ring gear (drive side is used during acceleration). When the pattern is not correct (typically in novice set-ups, or bad gears) you will hear gear whine/noise from the differential.
This is the coast side of the ring gear (used during deceleration/coasting). This pattern is not as good as the drive side, but it is still a good pattern. When setting up the differential you want to make the drive pattern the best possible even if you have to sacrifice a little on the coast pattern.
Here is the transmission as it was in the car. Notice the yellow assembly mark on the side cover.
Notice the blue sealer around the bolt holes. This would never pass NCRS.
Two of the shifter mounting holes are stripped out and the one in the upper part of the photo has a section of the boss broken off.
This is the tail shaft housing after it was cleaned and sand blasted. Notice the matte finish. This is not an acceptable finish and would result in point deductions during judging.
Here is the tail housing after it has been tumbled. Notice the satin or low gloss finish.
Here are all three of the main transmission components. All of them are individually dated 2-6-63.
Here you can see the date code on the side cover.
Side cover after refinishing. You can better see the date code 2 6 63A
Enjoy acouple videos of the transmission being rebuilt!
We received a new fuel tank. The old tank was rusted and the manual states that it should be bright zinc. It’s was more cost effective to purchase a new one and was a good reproduction of the original.