Air Box, AC Fittings & Coolant Res. 1 Ton Power Stroke

79 Ford 1 Ton Power Stroke update

We finished the last couple of mock up and fabrication items.  The air filter box, all the AC lines and  the final mounting of the coolant reservoir.  The plastic grill took quite a bit of clearance to make everything fit but it all looks great and is ready to be torn down and cleaned up.

We fabricated a spacer to get everything to the right height.

Power Stroke coolant tank

We bolted an upper support to utilize the factory mount on the bottle.

We send the stock Ford Power Stroke AC manifold over to the AC shop and they modified it to accept our universal AC fittings

We sent the Excursion AC compressor manifold over to Mac’s Radiator to have the fittings and the lines changed so we could adapt it to the vintage air fittings.  We also swapped out some of the crimp fittings with ones that would fit our routing better.

The universal AC lines were routed and the receiver dryer was mounted to the passenger fender well.

We added service ports in the high and low side of the AC lines so that we can have easy access to them for charging and testing of the system.  All the rubber lines indexed and  marked with a paint pen so they can be crimped in the right place.

We have to delete the stock 79 second battery box in order to fit the power stroke air box.

Originally the 79 had a battery box on the drivers side fender well.  This is the perfect spot for the air filter box.

Pulled out of our Power Stroke Ford Excursion.

On the Excursion the air filter box and the battery box were a combined unit.  The air filter box base is on the right.  We split them apart and modified the filter box as follows to provide fresh cold air from behind the grill.

On the Excursion the air comes in from the large opening.  The problem is that on the 79 this would just pull hot air from the engine compartment so we need to block it off and pull air in from another location.

This is the port for the Intake air temperature sensor in the air box  This sensor tells the computer what the temperature of the air entering the engine is so that the computer can make the appropriate adjustments. .  We needed to move this because it  would run right into the fender skirt on the 79.

We used the CNC Plasma cutter to cut out a block off plate for the big hole in the air box and we also cut the hole for the new location of the power stroke intake air temp sensor.

Here is the plate installed.  We bent the bottom of it and then uses some RTV sealer and some pop rivets to secure it to the power stroke air box.   Once it is painted it will look like new.

The power stroke air box had one other hole that we had to cover with a plate and some pop rivets.  Now we have to get the cool air into the box.

We cut a 4″ oblong  hole in the side of the box. To match our custom ducting.

Here is the outside of the power stroke air box.  We used one 4″ mandral bent U-bend exhaust pipe section to get the air into the box.  We used the CNC plasma to cut out a mounting flange the we then welded to the pipe and bolted to the air box.

Here is what it looks like from the top.  Now we need to get it through the core support.

We welded a piece of straight 4″ tube in the correct location on the core support.  We will couple it all together with some rubber hose and clamps.

Now we used the air body saw to cot out the section.  You can see the burnt paint where we welded the section of pipe to the core support.

The power stroke air box need some mounts and a spacer so we welded some nuts to the inside of a 2×1″ piece of tube then welded it to the fender skirt.

The factory rubber coupler that the  Power Stroke Excursion used to go from the air box to the engine was cut down to get the intake air headed in the right direction.

Then it can be connected with another section of the 4″ U-Bend. Looks just like it was supposed to be there.   On top of that it is s great “cold air” intake setup.

Tags: , , , ,